Home > Ajax, Development > Foundations of Ajax

Foundations of Ajax

September 24th, 2005 Leave a comment Go to comments

Well, we’ve been quiet long enough! After a hectic summer of writing, Ryan and I are proud to say Foundations of Ajax is on its way to the printers. Special thanks to everyone at Apress for your help – we could not have done this without your extraordinary effort! We’re not 100 percent sure when it’ll start shipping, but expect to see it soon. If you’re not familiar with Ajax, a quick Google search will reveal a number of responses but you should start with Jesse James Garrett’s piece Ajax: A New Approach to Web Applications.

We really believe in Ajax (heck, we did write a book and I assure you it was not for the money!) and we think it will truly change the way people write web applicaitons. If you’ve played with Google Maps or seen Netflix’s box cover hover, you’ll know why we’re so jazzed about this. Anyway, Ryan and I have really tried to write a book that will actually help developers. While Ajax isn’t rocket science, there are a number of things that can jump up and bite you; our book will put a few more arrows in your quiver! We really focused on the developer’s toolbox with this book and we really hope it helps people add Ajax to their applications.

Update: looks like one of the chapters isn’t available online anymore howerver the table of contents is.
Some sample chapters are available via Apress: Chapter 3: Communicating with the Server and Chapter 5: Building the Ultimate Ajax Developer’s Toolbox. Enjoy!

I’ll have more to say on this in the future and look for some promotional type stuff in the coming weeks. I will say that we are presenting at TC JUG in November so if you’re in the Twin Cities, come on down!

Categories: Ajax, Development Tags:
  1. Joe Athman
    October 4th, 2005 at 07:24 | #1

Your book got the front page on Joel on Software!! You’ve reached the pinnacle! Congrats. http://joelonsoftware.com/

2. April 6th, 2006 at 05:03 | #2

I surf the Net Download FoundAtions of Ajax source code ,but example of Chapter 4 can’t use,I am when test toolTip.html, js stops being here

if (xmlHttp.status == 200) {
    setData(xmlHttp.responseXML);
    }

Later would not carry out again, Could you tell me how it will want to solve.

3. April 6th, 2006 at 18:13 | #3

Huang,

Thanks for writing! Based on your description, I’m not completely sure what’s going on, but if you’ve actually traced the code and are indeed getting to this check but it’s dropping out (i.e., never evaluating to true), that means the return code from the server is something other than 200. This tells me you are getting some kind of error from the server. I’d start by determining what value is coming back from the server and work from there. Good luck!

4. April 8th, 2006 at 21:37 | #4

I have already solved that problem before!
    I would like to ask you are as it is out of question that we convey English in out.println XML document about the question of the code!But when I want to convey Chinese, spreading Chinese in the past will be turned into messy yard!
    I once tried to use
    out.println(“”);
    But still useless, Could you tell me that there is any better solution?
    It is very uneasy to bother you.

1. October 16th, 2005 at 12:46 | #1