Home > Apple > The Halo Effect

The Halo Effect

August 22nd, 2005 Leave a comment Go to comments

Many have claimed that Apple’s recent stock performance is largely due to the amazing popularity of their ubiquitous iPods and the “Halo Effect” this is having as people purchase Macs to go with their music players. I’m no economist but I should have known something was up when my dad bought himself an iPod a couple of Christmases ago (oh if I would have picked up some Apple shares then!) I held out – sure, iPods are trendy and lots of my friends have them but I just didn’t listen to enough music to justify the cost. Well, today I broke down and joined the masses.

Am I a sheep? I don’t think so, but I’m happy to be in the flock as it were. If there is such a thing as the “Halo Effect” I think I’m part of it but not in the way you would expect. You see, a few months back I bought a 15″ PowerBook. I’ll write more about why I switched soon but frankly, that purchase spurred me on to get an iPod. I suppose that’s backwards, but then most of the things I do are!

Of course the “real” reason I bought an iPod had to do with photos (I bought a 20 GB now that they are all color) more specifically our upcoming trip to Spain. While I have a 512 MB chip for our nifty digital camera, I didn’t want to deal with deleting photos or shooting at lower resolutions. Sure, I could have just purchased more memory cards but what fun would that be? Anyway, I’ll let you (yes, all two of you) know what I think as I start to play with this new toy but so far so good! That said, the ear buds aren’t so great – if you have any advice on good replacements (that don’t cost more than the iPod itself) I’m all ears!

Categories: Apple Tags:
  1. August 23rd, 2005 at 09:34 | #1

Congrats on the purchase of your iPod. I’ve been resisting (though craving one). In the end, I really only listen to music while working on my PC. So really, my laptop is my iPod. ;-)

Hey… I’d love to hear more about your experiences with your PowerBook! Do you use it for any development?

2. August 23rd, 2005 at 19:41 | #2

Hey John – I’ve got a whole entry coming about why I switched and yes, i do some development work on it. For those of you that haven’t tried NetBeans lately, you really need to… Honeslty, given the choice, I would take an OS X machine for development over anything else (unless of course, I had to do .NET stuff!) Anyway, my “Why a Mac” entry is coming, I promise!

3. jjathman
    August 25th, 2005 at 22:06 | #3

I’m still waiting for a day when I can just run into Best Buy and buy OS X and run it on my PC. I promise its not that far away.

It’s simply a matter of economics. Apple has made the price of entry into their world so much higher than say Windows to Linux, that its not practical for most people to make the switch. Instead of costing me $150 to try out OS X, it will cost me over $1000 because I have to buy the computer too. For cheapskates like me that will take me a while to get in to. I’ll let you know when I get one!

4. August 29th, 2005 at 21:37 | #4

Yeah, I’m not sure – we’ll see. I’m not so sure Apple is keen on selling an extra hundred thousand copies of OS X. Of course I’d argue that, at least with my PowerBook, and extra I paid was worth it and I can only think that Intel based machines would be cheaper… You could argue that Apple is really a consumer electronics company these days with the iPod making up such a large share of the revenue.

5. July 11th, 2017 at 03:18 | #5

Good event, I think because to have a necessary books is very important for every profession, especially, for writers who make your life easier everywhere.

6. July 11th, 2017 at 03:19 | #6

That’s the very nice post you have shared with us. I really liked it. Please keep sharing more and more information.

1. October 31st, 2005 at 20:38 | #1